CLAT which stands for Common Law Admission Test is a national level entrance test which is conducted to provide admission to 17 prestigious National Law Universities in India and it is held once in a year particularly in the month of May that is on the second Sunday of May. Every year some or the other law university out of the 17 law universities takes the responsibility to conduct this examination and hence for the year 2018 The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi, Kerala will be the organizing body for CLAT. Apart from providing admission to the 17 national law universities, the CLAT scores are also used to get admission to other private law colleges and universities. The CLAT scores are used by other private law. The test paper is objective in nature with multiple choice questions on different categories are asked.
Update: CLAT Admit Card will be available from 20th April 2018, link will be updated here soon. The exam is scheduled to be conducted on 13th May, 2018.
CLAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria
Age Limit – Candidates belonging to general category and NRIs shall be below Twenty (20) Years of age as on 1st July 2018 whereas for candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC/PwD category shall be below Twenty Two (22) years of age as on 1st July 2018.
Educational Qualification – the candidate must have passed/appearing in the 10+2 or equivalent examination. However in the case of appearing candidates, the result of the qualifying examination shall be submitted by the candidate at the time of admission failing which the candidate shall be considered ineligible for admission to the Course.
Percentage Criteria – the candidate must have secured a minimum of 45% in 10+2 or equivalent examination for those belonging to unreserved category and for the candidates belonging to reserved category; they must have secured a minimum of 40% marks in 10+2 or equivalent examination.
CLAT 2018 Application Form
The application form for CLAT 2018 is to be filled in the online mode only after logging into the official website of CLAT. The forms are available from 1st January 2018 to 31st March 2018 which is the last date for completing the application form procedure. Following are the steps to fill in the application form:
- Go to the official website of CLAT
- Click on the tab saying register yourself and after this enter the details including name of the candidate, date of birth, email id and contact number of the candidate.
- After registration, login with the credentials provided once the registration is done and hence fill in the application form with all necessary details.
- Upload the scanned image of the photograph and signature of the candidate with desired specifications. The size of the images should not be more than 100 kbs.
- Choose the examination centre and maximum 3 preferences can be filled by the candidate.
- The last step is to make the fee payment which is also required to be done in the online mode only.
- No application form is required to be submitted through offline mode.
- There is a facility for correcting the errors which may have occurred while filling up the application form and hence it can be corrected by contacting the competent authorities.
CLAT 2018 Exam Date
The important dates for the exam and other processes are given below:
|Online application Start Date||1st January 2018|
|Last date for submission of filled-in
online application form
|31st March 2018|
|Availability of Admit Card||20th April 2018|
|Date of Entrance Exam||13th May 2018 (3:00 PM to 5:00 PM)|
|Uploading of Answer Key||15th May 2018|
|Representation, if any, relating to exam, questions or key||16th – 18th May 2018|
|Date for uploading the amended answer key (if required)||26th May 2018|
|Result & merit list release||31st May 2018|
|Release of first indicative seat allocation list||7th June 2018|
|Closer of admission process||6th July 2018|
CLAT 2018 Syllabus
The question paper for CLAT 2018 will cover questions form mainly five different subjects and they are English (Comprehension), General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability), Legal Aptitude and Logical Reasoning. Topic wise syllabus is given below for the ease of the candidate:
English including comprehension (40 marks)
English will cover the following topics:
- English Vocabulary– it will include synonyms, antonyms, analogies.
- English Proficiency– it includes idioms & Phrases, fill in the blanks, one word substitution, cloze tests, sentence improvement, rearrangement of sentences in paragraph, jumbled sentences.
- English Usage errors–it includes spot the error & correct the sentences, spelling mistakes, use the correct word.
- English Comprehension– it includes unseen passages and then the questions are asked from the passage and the candidate is required to read the passage and answer the questions that follow.
GK & Current Affairs (50 marks)
In general knowledge questions can be asked from both static as well as dynamic gk. Hence the candidates are required to study both the categories of gk and remain updated with the happenings related to Science, Technology, Legal Affairs, Sports, People & Places.
Elementary Mathematics (20 marks)
Mathematics section will cover the following topics:
- Ration & proportion
- HCF & LCM
- Surds & Indices
- Decimals & fractions
- Number system
- Areas & volumes
- Interest calculation
- Profit & loss
Legal Aptitude (50 marks)
questions from legal aptitude are asked to check the ability of the candidate related to law, research and aptitude, problem solving skills etc and hence 50 questions are asked where each question will comprise of legal propositions/principles and using them the most reasonable conclusion has to be reached by the candidate. These principles may or may not be true in the real sense, but the candidate is required to answer applying them only without making any other assumptions.
Logical reasoning (40 marks)
Logical reasoning will include syllogs, logical arguments, analogies, pattern identification etc
CLAT 2018 Exam Pattern
Total Marks: 200
Number of Questions: 200
Duration: 2 hours
Marking: There is a provision of negative marking and for every incorrect answer 1/4th marks will be deducted.
|English (including comprehension)||40 marks|
|Elementary Mathematics||20 marks|
|General Knowledge/Current Affairs||50 marks|
|Logical Reasoning||40 marks|
|Legal Reasoning||50 marks|
CLAT 2018 Admit Card
The admit cards for CLAT 2018 are to be issued by Chanakya National Law University (CNLU) Patna which is the exam conducting body for the year 2018. The date from which admit cards are to be issued is 20th April 2018 and the last date to download the admit cards is 12th May 2018. There is no provision of offline admit cards hence the candidates are required to download the admit cards and keep them safely till the entire admission process gets over. The admit cards contains the details such as the name of the candidate, roll number, examination centre, date and time of the exam, gender and date of birth of the candidate, photograph, signature of the candidate etc. in case of any errors in the admit card, the same should be notified to the authorities on an urgent basis before the commencement of the examination. Also the candidates are required to carry their admit cards to the examination centre along with a valid identity proof of the candidate.
Steps to Download the CLAT Admit Card 2018?
- Visit the official website of CLAT.
- Go to the tab which says download the admit card.
- Enter the login id and password and the security number provided on the website.
- Click on ‘Download’ button.
- Take a print out of the admit card.
- Save a copy of the admit card for future references.
CLAT 2018 Result
The date on which the results for CLAT 2018 are to be declared is 31st May 2018. It will be declared in the online mode on the official website of CLAT. Candidates in order to check the result need to log in to the website using their credentials which were provided to them during the application procedure. The CLAT result will contain candidates’ All India Rank (AIR), State Rank (SR) and Category Rank (CR) along with the scores.
The validity of the result or the score card of the candidate is for 1 year only.
The score card contains the following details:
- Candidate’s Name
- Father’s Name
- Roll Number
- Application Number
- CLAT Scores
- All India Rank
- Category Rank
- NRI Rank
- NRI Sponsored Rank
Steps to Check the Result
- Go to the official website.
- Enter login details such as Registered Email ID and password.
- Click on “Result” tab.
- Enter the roll number and password of the candidate.
- Click on Submit.
- Now, the result will be displayed on the screen.
- Download the result and take the printout of the same and keep it safely for future references.
CLAT Cut Off 2018
The cutoff is the benchmark which the candidates need to cross so as to be eligible for counseling and seat allotment for CLAT 2018. As the number of aspirants taking the exam are increasing every year, the cut offs are expected to by 5% to 10%. The cut off scores are decided by the participating institutes and is calculated keeping in mind the difficulty level of the paper, availability of seats, average marks scored in the test and total test population.
CLAT 2018 Counseling
Important Documents to be carried for counseling:
- CLAT Application Form
- CLAT Admit Card
- CLAT Score Card
- Class 10th Marks-sheet
- Class 12th Marks-sheet
- Caste Certificate (If applicable)
- Specially-Abled Certificate
- NRI Certificate
- Sponsored NRI Certificate
- Domicile Certificate
Counseling will start from 7th June 2018. It will be conducted in 4th rounds. Complete procedure & counseling dates will be updated soon.